We all want to look our best at the track, but motorsport conditions can sometimes be challenging. Celebrity hair and makeup artist Wendy Ryan Shelton offers tips and her personal favorites to beat the heat and stay looking your best at the track.
Track Skin Care
So everybody knows that being in the sun all day can take a serious toll on not only your makeup, but most importantly on skin!
- Get a non-drying cleanser that is not oil based. Ole Henrikson Vitamin C Cleanser and Philiosophy Purity are both affordable and fully cleanse the skin without leaving your skin feeling “tight”. Anything with Vitamin C is anti-aging and helps protect against free-radical damage. Ole Henrikson’s brand is all natural and will leave you feeling completely refreshed.
- Use a nutrient-rich toner. (optional, but why not take that extra step? This is preserving the health of your skin as there is no Fountain of Youth… really!) First Aide Beauty Radiance Pads is a toner that is packed with vitamins and nutrients that your skin will love you for! The tiny grooves in the pad will act as an exfoliate for unwanted dry skin, uncongest pores and the added vitamins also protect your skin from pollutants.
- Get a moisturizer with SPF that fits your skin type. I personally use Peter Thomas Roth Sheer Max All Day Defense. Its oil-free, packed with vitamins and leaves a healthy glow without feeling like your “glowing”. Its also good for all skin types and is fragrance-free. Anything with artificial fragrance has alcohol in it and will dry out the skin. Also for problem oily skin, use Sephora Mattifying Moisturizer it has SPF and oil-control.
- Use a hydrating eye cream. An eye cream that is packed with water will also help keep your eyes properly hydrated to prevent unwanted fine lines. If you already have fine lines and wrinkles, use Philosophy Miracle Worker Retinoid Eye Repair, it is legitimately a miracle worker!!
- For all you people with the dreaded oily to combination skin saga, fight oil with OIL! Especially in the summer heat, your skin will overproduce oil when its lacking or stripped of its natural oil. Use a nightly treatment oil or at night 2-3 times a week. My personal favorites include ProGenius Treatment Oil by NUDE Skincare or Kate Sommerville Dilo Oil. Your skin will completely absorb these oils leaving no residue on the face and BOOM, problem solved.
ALL of these products will make a massive improvement on how your makeup looks, feels and wears throughout the entire year. Makeup will only enhance dry skin, fine lines and will look ridiculous if you have oil pouring out of your pores!
Stay-put Makeup for Women in Motorsports
The biggest complaint for makeup lovers during the summer is their face gets oily, sweaty making their makeup look splotchy or just comes off 2 hours after putting it on. There are solutions.
- Always make sure you allow your skin care to absorb into the skin for 5-10 minutes before applying makeup. If you don’t wait, it will make your makeup smear all over your face. More people do this than you’d think.
- Trade your thicker foundation for a tinted moisturizer or BB cream. They melt into the skin, are very lightweight and won’t rub off throughout the day. Boscia BB Cream, Nars Tinted Moisturizer or Smashbox are a few of my favorite. Go to Sephora, tell them your skin type and they will match your color as well as suggest one to help with skin conditions.
- Always, I mean ALWAYS use a primer! Not only are you creating a barrier between your skin and your makeup, but it helps the foundation ‘stick’ to your skin so that it wont fade in certain areas of the face like your nose, forehead and cheeks. This step combined with proper skincare will also prevent foundations from oxidizing on the skin, making your foundation turn another color. During the summer heat, this is a big problem.
- Don’t forget your eyeshadow primer. It will keep eyeshadow from gathering in your crease, you’ll get the most color pay-out from your shadow, blends easier and your shadow will look as flawless at the end of the day as it did when you applied it in the morning. This is a must!
- For full coverage in the summer: If you are like me and still want to use a thicker fuller coverage, even in the summer, go with Kat Von D Tattoo Foundation. Very full, flawless coverage and has a matte finish. It is water-resistant and long-wearing, even in the summer! There are amazing reviews and a couple negative on this product. The biggest complaint is that it dries before being able to blend it properly or that its too heavy. If these are the cases, its not being applied right. The end. It needs to be applied on top of a primer, quickly with brush or Beauty Blender. Clinique Double Wear is also an amazing full coverage that wont break up on your face in the heat and same rules apply!
- Always set your foundations with a powder. I prefer a translucent HD powder that is weightless and great for taking pictures!
- Set your look with setting spray. Set your finished look with a mattifying setting spray during the summer, unless you have very dry skin. In that case, you would use a normal/dewy finish setting spray. Setting sprays help with making all your makeup melt to the skin, keeping it in place. A great mattifying setting spray is Urban Decay De-Slick Setting Spray or mattifying setting spray by NYX.
- Keep blotting paper handy to wipe away sweat. Use Blotting papers (by numerous brands) to blot any unwanted sweat or oil without taking off your makeup.